[Edu-sig] Version 0.2.03 of PataPata released (adds Jython/Swing support)

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Aug 8 15:05:42 CEST 2006

kirby urner wrote:

>The major exception:  if we want functions to operate even when the
>user gets to use plain old property syntax -- so providing is the
>purpose of the infamous property() function (which Arthur thinks was
>brough over just to make inferior Java coders feel at home -- and he's
>not the only one who thinks that).

Not exactly what Arthur thinks, because Arthur tried to cast to
discussion  about properties *not* as a language design issue, but as
an issue of understanding of the language's design - feeling that more
was read into the introduction of properties (by myself included,
initially) than was intended by it.

What you haven't said in your reference here and before to Martelli's
post about Ruby and the relevance of it to properties is that it was I
who pointed you to it, and specifically because you had pointed to the
authority of Martelli's Nutshell for your interpretation of the intent
of properties, and I felt that Martelli's post about Ruby was some
authority for the fact that you were misinterpreting him.