[Edu-sig] Version 0.2.03 of PataPata released (adds Jython/Swing support)

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Aug 10 14:37:50 CEST 2006

kirby urner wrote:

>With PataPata, it seems you're unhappy with Python being a crystal
>clear implementation of a simple paradigm

Is Python really a clear implementation of a simple paradigm?  I assume
you are meaning OO.  Or if that is not is what you are saying here, it
is what I keeping here you say, nonetheless.

That, it seems to me, is a box you are placing it in -  your own OO
dogma - and in fact relates back to our differeing views - at least at
one point - about the purpose of properties.  You seemed to me to have
seen properties as Python retracing a step that it had missed in
implementing OO orthodoxy,  and I saw it  as Python being Python, going
its merry way, being unconcerned about OO orthodoxy, and it was exactly
in placing properties in this OO box that you were misintepreting them,
and as an educator, miseducating about them.

When I began to study Lisp a bit, I found myself quite comfortable in
drawing from my Python background.

Didn't Ian Bicking say here recently that he does not see OO as central
to how he understands and uses Python? Or was I misinterpreting?

It continues to seem to me that as much as you are an advocate for
Python, you see it through a filter of your own experience and
background and expectations that makes it less than what it is. Which is
maybe why it is more clear to you than to me. Placed in a nice regular
ployhedra Python is soothing to you.

Having less experience, background and expectations and leaving in a
irregular, non-metric world of projective geometry perhaps there is
something to my feeling that I see Python as it is more clearly than do you.