[Edu-sig] Freedom: some Smalltalk history and Python implications

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Aug 10 16:01:49 CEST 2006

Paul D. Fernhout wrote:

>In the syntax case, I am continuing to point out that Smalltalk's keyword
>syntax (e.g. "Point x: 10 y: 20" versus "Point(10, 20)" ) produces code
>where all arguments are labeled and so it is easier to read and
>understand.

That is, IMO, an arbitrary point of view, at best.

Touches a particular nerve with me because I went to great trouble in
the design of PyGeo to *avoid* the use of keyword arguments, feeling it
in fact important that in creating a construction one should be in
geometry mindset mode, not programmming mindset mode, and therefore
*not* have to be explicit in stating the obvious.

See
http://pygeo.sourceforge.net/docs/Overview.html#built-in-geometric-intelligence

The point is not whether my design is right or wrong, but that I found
myself to be using  a tool that allowed me to express my design exactly
as I wanted to - right or wrong.

Would I have had the same right to be wrong using Smalltalk?