[Edu-sig] Freedom: some Smalltalk history and Python implications

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Aug 12 03:00:16 CEST 2006

kirby urner wrote:

>> At what point does it become appropriate to expect this conversation to
>> move over to "Squeakland" - where kids who are different than I was are
>> treated without condescension.
>>
>> Art
>>

> In general I favor a liberal approach to direct comparison of Python
> with other langauges at the syntax and design level because:
>
> (a) it's a genre, well developed, with lots of literature and
> (b) it's educational, helps define core concepts and CS and
> (c) it's relevant, especially to people "just getting into" language X

Do we have to ignore the question as to whether - all syntactical issues
being equal - it is more respectful to children to present it  via a
tool use by working physicists, astronomers, and at Google - or in some
environment someone chose to call "Squeakland" (out of repsect???? for
the sensibilities of a bright child).

Or am I on my own planet, again?