[Edu-sig] Learning Math or Simulation with Python or Smalltalk

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Aug 12 04:06:47 CEST 2006

Paul D. Fernhout wrote:

>One of the problems of teaching programming is that many kids need to
>learn the very basics sometimes. For example, that is one reason learning
>to play music at an early age may be better for building a programmer than
>actually learning to program first.

Nice to find something we wholeheartedly agree about.  I have said the
same here before, almost in so many words.

But it is actually a sensitive issue to me.  One of my few regrets - so
far - as a parent,  is that I wasn't more pro-active in seeing my son
exposed to the discipline of playing a musical instrument. Makes me sad.

Art