[Edu-sig] FYI: PataPata postmortem link

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Fri Dec 1 01:50:20 CET 2006

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:20:51 -0800, Dethe Elza wrote:

>Oberon, Self, and Hypercard allowed you to get "behind" the widgets
>to see the code they would invoke, and the code that created them.
>HTML and the current desktop-widget tools do this too.  It requires
>some additional work on the UI framework to support this, but a UI
>that was built from Python or XML should be able to support it.

Depending on what you mean by "the code they would invoke", I think
that may be a bit too much detail for some people. A high-level view
would be interesting, though.

>Interestingly enough, Stackless Python can do this now.  You can
>create "tasklets" which are lightweight processes that can be
>serialized, sent over a network, restarted, and communicate with each
>other.

Yes, that's interesting to know. I had something like that in mind, but I
don't have any experience of Stackless Python.

>[rest of dicussion snipped.  Interesting, but I don't have anything
>to add]

And I don't really have time to contribute to such a deep discussion,
no matter how interesting it is. :-(

David