[Edu-sig] OLPC related: pyGTK for cross-platform (Mac especially)?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Dec 20 15:26:10 CET 2006

Arthur wrote:

>Like offering alternatives.

Like this new-on-the-scene effort

http://pyglet.org/

"""
Pyglet is a cross-platform multimedia library written in pure Python.
"""

Checked out the svn version.

Exciting to see for - among other reasons - it seems to implement what
had been kicked around here regarding VPython, i.e. a pure Python - via
ctypes - fully native
crossplatform windowing, OpenGL capable infrastructure.

Humbling - the effort and background needed to pull something like this off.

It is early, but with what has clearly been invested in it to date, one
suspects the effort will continue to get it to wherever it needs to get.

What I imagine to be the underlying axiom from an educational point of
view is that it is more infrastructure for doing engaging things by
writing pure Python from what - if it were up to me- would be the
simplest possible edit/run environment.

I don't have a name for the educational philosophy behind such thinking,
and don't expect it to become ubiquitous.

Justs makes me smile.