[Edu-sig] Learning (some more) programming

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Dec 29 15:45:37 CET 2006

Paul D. Fernhout wrote:

>John-
>
>An excellent post; and I'll have to agree with most of it, including your
>conclusions at the end, especially in relation to choosing educational
>strategies based on empirical research.

Consensus on this point is an excellent starting point.

But even given it, I am not in position to lay down my arms.

This is exactly where the issue of my obsession with the influence of
commercial interests in these discussions kicks in.

The research that gets done tends to be, in reality, the research that
gets funded.  And the answers returned are largely determined by the
questions asked.

I had posted an excerpt and link to a public message by Microsoft which
was frank and direct about its efforts to direct its (quite
considerable) influence at US national educational policy,  which cites
as its empirical basis research that I consider to be quite specious and
that Microsoft had, in part, funded.

When those dynamics are at work, and when they are work publicly, and
when no general outrage can be generated in connection with those
dynamics occurring in plain view - one becomes deeply concerned.

As I am.