[Edu-sig] rur-ple: pre-release of new lessons (long)

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Thu Feb 2 04:31:15 CET 2006

On 1-Feb-06, at 11:05 AM, Douglas S. Blank wrote:
> For example, Python now runs natively on Sony's AIBO. It used to be
> the
> case that one would write C++ code, compile it, reboot, upload,
> run, in
> order to program the AIBO. Now, it can be all Python (and the award
> winning CMU team is doing just that). As a side note, the AIBO was
> just
> canceled by Sony. Bummer. It was a great platform.

Wow, that alone sounds like a great reason to get an AIBO (python is
a great selling point for me--I never wanted a smartphone until Nokia
ported python to theirs).

> As one of the developers of Pyro, I wonder about going the other way
> too, bringing RUR-PLE pieces to Pyro. In fact, not only can Pyro
> control
> OpenGL robots, AIBO, 2d simulators, but it can also be used to play
> checkers, chess, and the like. Also, we have a "wumpus world" that
> operates much like RUR-PLE's world.

Mixing RUR-PLE and Pyro sounds like a good idea to me.  My daughter
likes to push things past their limits (she's a good beta tester for
me), so if she was using RUR-PLE and found that it "unfolded" into a
bigger, more complicated, but more powerful world, I think that would
really get her involved.

Does Pyro yet run natively on OS X (without requiring X windows/Gnome/
fink)?

> Some of these points may be non-issues because RUR-PLE isn't
> attempting
> to teach robotics. But what if it were? Some of these points we could
> explore by making RUR-PLE talk to the Pyro 2D simulators (one is
> written
> in pure-Python) and by having Pyro connect to the simulator in RUR-
> PLE.
> I'd be interested in sharing lessons learned from that software
> which is
> designed "for kids" versus "for young adults."

Using robotics to teach programming, vs. using programming to teach
robotics.  Two sides of the same coin, IMHO.  I think you've raised
some good points to consider, but I know I'd like to see this
combination work out (especially if it runs on OS X).

> BTW, I use do use Pyro to teach cognitive science students how to
> program. Questions of intelligence make a great way to motivate the
> learning of programming, and of course Python is great for that. Would
> young kids benefit from this same motivation?

Not directly questioning their intelligence, but praising them for
being smart when they figure something out, yeah, that's a heady
motivator.

--Dethe

"Any idea that couldn't stand a few decades of neglect is not worth
anything." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez