[Edu-sig] Textbooks

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 22:43:54 CET 2006

On 2/24/06, Peter Chase <pchase at sulross.edu> wrote:
> I'm teaching some prospective K-12 teachers this summer and propose to
> introduce them to Python.  Reasons are numerous
> -   It's the least weird language I know.
> -   It offers so many programming styles.
> -   And not least, it's free
>
> SO:  Any recommendations as to course textbooks?  Or just go with Zelle
> and/or O'Reilly's latest wood rat book?
> -   The students presumably have had programming courses already.

> -   I would think that K-12 students would be happier if they could
> generate some graphics.
> -   This is a 6-weeks course.  Little leisure time.

I imagine that the final goal is to leave them with tools that they
can use to teach Python themselves. I would suggest looking at two
different approaches, possibly including them both:
1) http://www.livewires.org.uk/python/.
2) either gvr.sourceforge.net or rur-ple.sourceforge.net
gvr (Guido van Robot) is the more mature of the two ... but is not
really Python (although it is a good introduction that leads to Python
programming).
rur-ple is an introduction to Python programming.  It is still in
development and will eventually include an introduction to graphics
programming (in the context of simple games); this may not be included
by the beginning of this summer though.  It has more teaching material
included than GvR - but has not been as thoroughly tested.

All of the above are free to use.

André