[Edu-sig] Textbooks

gerry_lowry{905~825'9582}abilityBusinessComputerServices gerry.lowry at abilitybusinesscomputerservices.com
Sat Feb 25 01:00:29 CET 2006

You may want to teach J first, in addition, or instead.  http://www.jsoftware.com/

Also FREE.    J is the creation of Turing Award winner Ken Iverson and his colleague Roger Hui.

"J is a modern, high-level, general-purpose, high-performance programming language. J is portable and runs on Windows, Unix, Mac,
and PocketPC handhelds, both as a GUI and in a console. True 64-bit J systems are available for XP64 or Linux64, on AMD64 or Intel
EM64T platforms. J systems can be installed and distributed for free."

Examples:

5 + 5
10

   ADD =. +

   5 ADD 5
10

   +/ 3 4 5 8 12 45
77

   ADDtheseNumbers =. +/

   ADDtheseNumbers  3 4 5 8 12 45
77

 2 + 5 6 7
7 8 9

   i. 6
0 1 2 3 4 5

   power =:  ^
   x power 2

   x =. 3 4 5 6
   x power 2
9 16 25 36
   2 power x
8 16 32 64

J comes with many tutorial labs as part of the IDE.

J processes vectors and arrays with ease.

J forums have many J'ers willing to guide.

regards,
gerry

"If your only tool is a hammer, all of your problems tend to look like nails".  (author unknown)