[Edu-sig] SIGCSE 2006 - Special Session on Teaching with Python

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 05:23:57 CET 2006

On 2/26/06, Brad Miller <bmiller at luther.edu> wrote:

> Data structures and algorithms may not be exciting (for Kay), but they are
> as fundamental to computing as cells are to biology.

I think the goal is to get into these quickly and painlessly (Python helps!)
but not make 'em the "be all end all" i.e. these are tools, means to an end,
but the object is to get work done on some project of immediate import and
interest.  That's unlikely to be either data structures or algorithms UNLESS
you're a CS major or other kind of math nerd.  Nothing wrong with that, but
we're not prejudiced.  We're *happy* to equip students with a lot of CS
savvy and send them on their merry way:  to be graphic designers, to be
cartoonists, to be vampire slayers or what have you.

Kirby