[Edu-sig] Any suggestions about turlte.py

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 03:22:26 CET 2006

On 2/27/06, Vern Ceder <vceder at canterburyschool.org> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> As a consequence of my complaining about it in my PyCon talk, I have
> been invited to submit some patches for turtle.py. To my mind, turtle.py
> should be something that one could actually use for some very simple
> "programming with graphics" lessons, with NO tweaking or additional
> software.

Good idea!

> So I think the following would be handy:

[snip]
> 4. should offer a class wrapper so that that one could easily
> instantiate different turtles for a first experience with objects.

Definitely!

> 5. some minor tweaks to make it better behaved when run from IDLE
>
> Does anyone have any feedback on these ideas or any other suggestions
> about how turtle.py might be improved without being fundamentally changed?

Yes, but .... (see below)

> Note: this is about turtle.py only, for all its deficiencies. Any
> suggestions to try another library, system, or language will be
> cheerfully, but resolutely, ignored. ;)

It would be nice if turtle.py could have methods that would be
independent of Tkinter.  However, I suspect that this falls under the
category of "fundamentally changing it".
 have been thinking of including a version of turtle graphics inside
rur-ple (a Python Learning Environment I designed); however, rur-ple
is based on wxPython.  So, I guess, I will have to write my own...

One thing that, to my mind, is even more important than changing
turtle.py is to write "lessons" on how to use it.  If, at the very
least, you include some example programs, I think it would be greatly
appreciated.

Best of luck!

André