[Edu-sig] Any suggestions about turlte.py

Radenski, Atanas radenski at chapman.edu
Tue Feb 28 05:57:47 CET 2006

Hi,

Thank you for taking care of the turtle.py module. Here are tow
suggestions.

[1] I would suggest a correction of a bug in the fill function of
turtle.py. The statement:

              # self._canvas.lower(item)

should be removed. As it is now, it lowers polygons when filled. This
causes inconsistent behavior because nothing else is lowered. Here is a
suggested the statement in context:

    def fill(self, flag):
        if self._filling:
            path = tuple(self._path)
            smooth = self._filling < 0
            if len(path) > 2:
                item = self._canvas._create('polygon', path,
                                            {'fill': self._color,
                                             'smooth': smooth})
                self._items.append(item)

                # Should be removed, because
                # nothing else is lowered but filled polygons:

                # self._canvas.lower(item)

                if self._tofill:
                    for item in self._tofill:
                        self._canvas.itemconfigure(item,
fill=self._color)
                        self._items.append(item)
        self._path = []
        self._tofill = []
        self._filling = flag
        if flag:
            self._path.append(self._position)
        self.forward(0)

[2] A nuisance with this otherwise quite useful module is its behavior
in Windows systems: It tends to *stop responding*. This happens when the
canvas is covered by other graphics for a while, especially in cases
when execution is triggered form the interactive prompt. It would be
great if this problem can be fixed (although I am not sure what can be
done about it.)

Atanas

Atanas Radenski
mailto:radenski at chapman.edu      http://www.chapman.edu/~radenski/

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set,
I go into the other room and read a book - Groucho Marx

On