[Edu-sig] Brainstorming a new worksheet for 2006

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 21:49:22 CET 2006

> I suggest this:
>
> '''
> Examples of data structures are:
>
> [a, b, c] # a list
> {a:1, b:2, c:3} # a dictionary
> "abc" # a string
> (a,b,c) # a tuple
> '''

Good suggestion, I'll do it.

> For example, one well-regarded, open-source curriculum management
> system is Moodle (moodle.org) (think Blackboard, or WebCT, only
> free.) If we set up a moodle site, we could each prototype courses,
> placing emphasis where each of us felt was appropriate or necessary
> for our own needs, or the perceived needs of a potential audience. We
> might then synthesize our efforts somehow and make it available to
> schools (the horizon gets hazy at this point...)

A faculty guy I work with at the school has likewise suggested Moodle.  I
suspect I'll be spreading Python internally to Portland Public more than I'm
engaged in out-of-state collaborations, but that's just a guess.  Portland
seems receptive to the spin I'm putting on things (the GIS emphasis was on
request BTW -- that's why all that Google Earth, latitude/longitude stuff --
already part of the curriculum).

One drawback, in my mind, is that moodle runs on php rather than
> python, and I wouldn't like the subtle irony of that situation. The
> obvious python product I suppose is plone (plone.org) but that would
> have to be heavily customized to make it more like a courseware
> system than a generic content management system. Or maybe using php
> isn't so bad...

Yeah, we're not trying to only use Python for everything under the sun.  Use
whatever tools are available, don't always reinvent the wheel.  I use lots
of tools besides Python and am the more powerful for it.

Thanks for the useful feedback (just updated my section on generators to
include examples of two:  one for Pascal's Triangle, another for Fibonaccis,
both integral in my DM/CS hybrid).