[Edu-sig] Starting Python

Douglas S. Blank dblank at brynmawr.edu
Mon Jan 16 22:56:09 CET 2006

I second the recommendation of the Natural Language Toolkit. Python
makes a nice shell to play around with some linguistic tools. See also:

http://mainline.brynmawr.edu/Courses/cs325/fall2005/

especially some of the materials for a gentle intro to Python and the
NLTK by one of my colleagues.

You may also like to explore Robotics with Python. See:

http://PyroRobotics.org/

We have an all-Python simulator now, so you can get going immediately.
Works with Windows and Linux. And maybe MacOS X. It is easy to run, and
students with no background (in robotics, AI, or programming) can begin
changing programs right off the bat.

Whatever you do, have fun!

-Doug

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 07:48 -0800, Rob Malouf wrote:
> Congrats!  Take a look at this:
>
> http://nltk.sourceforge.net/
>
> ---
> Rob Malouf <rmalouf at mail.sdsu.edu>
> Department of Linguistics and Oriental Languages
> San Diego State University
>
> On Jan 16, 2006, at 7:37 AM, Andrew Baisley wrote:
>
> > I have just started a Python club after school, presently I have 15
> > members 14 - 17 yrs old.
> >
> > None of them has any programming experience.
> >
> > We have Python 2.4 installed on our network.
> >
> > I am looking for good ideas/resources to capture their imagination
> > and get them going.
> >
> > Any suggestions gratefully received.
> >
> > Yours,
> >
> > Andrew Baisley
> > Haverstock School
> > Camden
> > London
> > UK
> >

> > --
> > Yours,
> >
> > Andrew Baisley

Douglas S. Blank       Computer Science
Assistant Professor    Bryn Mawr College
(610)526-6501          http://cs.brynmawr.edu/~dblank