[Edu-sig] Starting Python

Winston Wolff winstonw at stratolab.com
Tue Jan 17 16:27:50 CET 2006

If you are using Mac OS X, you might like MakeBot.app, my simplified
IDE for teaching.  It is a very easy to use interface to Python,
easing the learning curve to write your first program.  I.e. you can
teach them just one line of code and execute it, without having to
explain command line interfaces.  Not that command line interfaces
are bad, just that it's a lot to learn when starting.

	http://stratolab.com/misc/makebot

Also, have you seen the LiveWires game programming package?  It
builds on top of pygame.

	http://www.livewires.org.uk/python/lwpackage-dev.html

-ww

On Jan 16, 2006, at 10:37 AM, Andrew Baisley wrote:

> I have just started a Python club after school, presently I have 15
> members 14 - 17 yrs old.
>
> None of them has any programming experience.
>
> We have Python 2.4 installed on our network.
>
> I am looking for good ideas/resources to capture their imagination
> and get them going.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Yours,
>
> Andrew Baisley
> Haverstock School
> Camden
> London
> UK
>

> --
> Yours,
>
> Andrew Baisley

winston wolff - (646) 827-2242 - http://www.stratolab.com
learning by creating - video game courses for kids in new york