[Edu-sig] [ANN] rur-ple: pre-release of new lessons.

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 17:04:02 CET 2006

Hi Andre ---

My plan is to introduce my daughter to Python using the robot theme.  Your
curriculum is an obvious place to start.  I will be starting a more in depth
investigation of your work in the near future.

My longer term hope is to see some physical robot offerings on the market
(in addition to the screen based ones) with some kind of Python capability
-- perhaps just a module with pre-defined motions the user might resequence
or trigger based on events (sensor inputs), per Lego Mindstorms example.

Also, I'm hoping the screen-based options become more visually
sophisticated, ala the Sims genre, i.e. we could script theater, complete
with dialog and sound, using Python (yes, this is Alice territory).

Arthur, before you blow your stack, this theater or playhouse genre isn't
about learning or teaching programming necessarily.  It's about scripting
plays and sharing them with your friends.

Programming is a prerequisite, but by the time you start animating some
Shakespeare play or whatever, we assume you've already got those skills.

Python is for people who already know how to program, not just for those
into learning how.

An important fact to keep in mind, as we explore the space of potentially
marketable products.