[Edu-sig] PataPata 0.1.19 release & Stigmergy

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 01:26:09 CEST 2006

> faster and in a more maintainable way, whereas PataPata attempts to give
> you a live world of Python objects where some of those objects are Morphs
> and non-visual Prototypes.

Something we're used to from Visual FoxPro (not all classes are visual).

> so if PataPata picked up some I would expect PythonCard might lose some.

Very speculative.  At the moment, I'm doubting it.

> So actually related in some sense I guess.

Yes.

> Maybe it would be kind of like people building geodesic domes by someone
> fiddling with some construction materials and then making a triangle, and
> then other people getting excited and making triangles and linking them up
> to the first triangle, and then a whole dome somehow going up. Now, this

Yes, Dick Fischbeck http://profiles.yahoo.com/dick_fischbeck -- we met
once in Applewhite's apartment -- does these "randome" things where
you don't have to prefigure any math.  Just pinch for
concavity/convexity, staple together, and you're done.

> people who are deaf, blind, and mute building a geodesic dome by just
> helping each other add parts?

Sounds like some kind of emergency operation, not done with optimum
planning or forethought.  To be avoided if possible, or perhaps
simulated.

> prototypes. So, some emergent behavior is there as well, mediated by this
> mailing list around some common interests related to Python and education.
>
> --Paul Fernhout

Yes, that's the open source way I'd say, a kind of "development by
Ouija Board" approach -- and the amazing thing is:  it works, and
produces beautiful code.