[Edu-sig] Alan Kay - another one of his ideas

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Jul 12 16:31:48 CEST 2006

On 7/12/06, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Remember
> that we lost the ability to author with the introduction of the world
> wide web and we're only about to get it back.

I've heard this before and with respect I think it's a load of crap.
The WWW did not cause anyone to lose anything. Before the WWW most
people didn't have computer access at all. Anybody who "lost" anything
due to the WWW was extremely privileged to have it at all before the
WWW.

I have no argument with the rest of your message but I want to stop
the rhetoric claiming that the WWW is somehow bad for us.