[Edu-sig] Alan Kay - another one of his ideas

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Jul 12 20:19:48 CEST 2006

> On 7/12/06, Andreas Raab wrote:
> The sequence again is roughly: pilot avatars and sims with programs
> (Logo), immerse yourself in communicative fanstasy environments
> (Squeak), surface a more adult mindset and start tackling real world
> problems with more focus (Python). It's kinda like three kinds of
> music: control a body, swim in the ocean, build your own. The
> language names are stand ins for what're probably the best open source
> options today.

Assuming that is accepted, shouldn't the Python community interested in the
subject of education be concentrating on creating the applications geared
toward the adult mindset?

And that become the focus of edu-sig?

That's been my position for 5 years, or so.

Having not made many friends, or influenced many people by
expressing it.