[Edu-sig] Alan Kay - another one of his ideas

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 19:39:40 CEST 2006

> To my knowledge Alan Kay never wrote a 'Book'  ... I'm then somewhat puzzled
> by your omniscience and omnipotence ;)

He think Arthur was probably speaking idiomatically, as one might say
'The Book According to [ ]' and then fill in any name, referring to
the mentality and outlook of said person (perhaps only expressed in
DVDs).

In any case, I see no reason to reach some broad consensus regarding
Alan's legacy.  We're each likely to pursue our dreams in any case.

For me, that involves doing things with television.  I think we
Internet-focused tend to forget the previous generation's work to lay
down a very high bandwidth global infrastructure.

To expect "unification" to come magically just from the consumer
applicance (e.g. Intel's viiv) is to ignore the cultural divides
separating those with computer skills and those with television
skills.

I'm more and more noticing my weaknesses in the television area
(meaning those are the muscles I'm most trying to build right now, not
learning Ruby, not writing a lot more Pythonic mathematics, which I
consider a completed model by now, ready for prime time).