[Edu-sig] Alan Kay - another one of his ideas

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 22:59:10 CEST 2006

On 7/17/06, Michael <ms at cerenity.org> wrote:
> On Monday 17 July 2006 18:39, kirby urner wrote:
> > To expect "unification" to come magically just from the consumer
> > applicance (e.g. Intel's viiv) is to ignore the cultural divides
> > separating those with computer skills and those with television
> > skills.
>
> Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this?
>

> Michael.

I mean people are always predicting this convergence of the home
computer and home television set in the form of some groovy new
synthesis, but it never quite seems to quite gel.  There's a long road
of junked toys, experiments with WebTV or whatever, with Intel's Viiv
(I happen to think) starting to really see into the future (the
personal workspace as value-adding audio/video edit/recombine studio).

I don't think this convergence will happen simply by brainstorming
about the end user applicance though.  Industries need to talk to and
better understand one another.  I think Apple's understanding of the
music industry, and a willingness of networks to upload TV shows to
such as Google Video, are evidence that these conversations are
starting to happen, perhaps in greater earnest, now that our
infrastructure has come so far (lots of optical fiber lying around,
under-utilized).