[Edu-sig] Recanting

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Jul 24 19:28:30 CEST 2006

kirby urner wrote:

> On 7/24/06, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried to hook people in by talking for hours and hours, in public

Unfortunately, sometimes that is all they remember.  He was the
commencement speaker at my sisters law school graduation in1973.  She
remembers he spoke a long time. Pretty much, period. Logic would dictate
that I attended, but I can't recall much.  One of those decades, for me.

I think that in presenting his ideas one needs to realize that to some
extent he is a victim of his success in getting his ideas into the meme
pool.

Spaceship earth (thinking, say, about the general consciousness
regarding the threat of  global warming), eco-capitalism (i'm thinking
about the success of Whole Foods, off the bat), and other ideas he might
have been instrumental in lauching into the general collective
idea-pool., seem today, on one hand, rather matter-of-fact and - to
those who don't feel like the worst is by any means over - ineffective
in changing fundamental things, fundamentally.

In the little web research I did this morning I find him being
described, with admiration, as someone who was driven mad by the 20th
century.

I've saved the 21st for that ;)