[Edu-sig] Python Editor / IDE for HS students

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Jul 24 22:14:28 CEST 2006

Kevin Driscoll wrote:

>I'm preparing a new diskimage for a WinXP-based computer lab and
>deciding the editor or IDE I'll use to teach Python this year.
>
>I always include my preference, Vim, but typically my students have
>used either Textpad or IDLE.  Although I like Textpad, I want my lab
>to be as free as possible so I'm leaning towards SciTE.

I was a heavy user of Textpad.

And switched to SciTE, finding that with good SciTEglobal.properties and
python.properties settings it is actually a better environment for
Python work than Textpad.

One can also do a python.api file to add word completion and call-tips
to SciTE.

I've gotten fairly deeply into it, as I will be distributing a version
of SciTE with PyGeo - even messing a bit with the C++ code.

Anything I can do to help you get comfortable with SciTE and Python,
please let me know.