[Edu-sig] digits of pi

Michel Paul mpaul at bhusd.k12.ca.us
Fri Jul 28 02:02:48 CEST 2006

When a student first sees Long integer capabilities a question often is "How many digits of pi can it show?"  There's a slight disappointment when they find out that though there's a Long integer, there is no Long decimal.  I would like to be able to show them a good way to compute a list of an arbitrary number of digits in the decimal expansion of of pi.  I think they might find that interesting.

Any recommendations for a good way to do this?

I'd like to implement a math/CS class utilizing Python.  As it turns out, I will have a group of students next fall where I can explore things like this.  I appreciate the ideas that appear on this list, like the Phi-bonaccis.

Also - I'd be interested in some ideas for Python Shell explorations with students.  I would like students to see how you could use this as a really super scientific calculator.  And, aside from strictly numeric stuff - how you could make truth tables and things that you normally can't do on a typical calculator.

I'd like to weave some Python lab days into my regular math classes.  A lot of students in a math class turn off to the idea of programming, because they regard it as more "work", but doing some effective Shell explorations might make them take enough interest to want to add their own functionality to this bizarre calculator.  And it's free!  Why spend the $ when you can just download it and go?

Thanks,

Michel Paul