[Edu-sig] Accessibility to non CS types?

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Jun 1 01:33:17 CEST 2006

francois schnell wrote:
> Thanks Doug I begin to gather all this on a single page (while testing
> googlepages in the same shot...):
> http://francois.schnell.googlepages.com/patapata

Wow! Beautiful page. Thanks for that and the two new videos.

I'm being mostly quiet because I am mostly coding(*). :-)

--Paul Fernhout
(*) ... coding a TK version. The wx widget dragging bug under GTK (plus
other comments here including in the graphics library thread) led me to
question using wx further for this. Yet, I want this thing to be usable
quicker if people are interested right now than doing all my own widgets
in something like Cairo (nice as that would be long term). So, throwing
even more performance to the winds, I'm trying to make a TK version of
PataPata for easy install since TK comes with Python by default (even on
the Mac?), better accessibility to what Python programmers already know
(e.g. your liberlab software is in TK), and hopefully be able to support a
variety of embedded TK widgets (and Pmw widgets too, etc.). The very first
PataPata proof of concept was with TK and had Morph copying issues, but
that was before the properties work for wx, so now, bringing the two
together, that works (you can now copy a TK button). BUT, I'm stuck on
intercepting all ALT mouse activity so embedded widgets can be dragged
without messing with their individual events handlers (which I could do as
in a try with passing on right click menu events [like I did with the wx
Button], but is inelegant and may have other problems). New code is in SVN
at patatpata/trunk/PataPata/ (several files) and you can drag all but the
Button, and menu interact with all morphs, but the inspector and shell are
gone for the moment, so a big step backwards at the moment. :-) Not worth
using, though it would be nice to know if it ran on other people's systems
if you want to check it out from SVN (the wx version is still there, but
renamed PataPataViewerWX). But if I *could* get the embedded widgets to
drag, then I could fairly quickly make and maintain the development GUI in
itself, as a separate Morph world of wrapped-TK-widgets Morphs. :-)
Anyway, one Tkinter book later (_Python and Tkinter programming_) plus
lots of newsgroup reading, and I'm still not sure how to do it correctly.
Something about writing my own mainloop I think, to get the mouse event
before the button or other widget does. But I have a few other leads too.