[Edu-sig] RUR-PLE video

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Jun 2 23:22:30 CEST 2006

Looking forward to the ShowMeDo version if it runs in a web browser?
Presumably it it be somewhere here?
    http://showmedo.com/videos/python
Interesting site with a bunch of Python videos.

Love to see the link when it is up. Making the video seems like half the
battle, but, no offense, making it run when viewing a web page (from
Flash? Or Quicktime?) is probably the other half. (Easy for me to say,
given I never tried it myself, or even know where to start. :-)

There is also the more general "YouTube" site.
My wife recently sent me this link from there:
   "Multi-Touch Interaction Research"
   http://youtube.com/watch?v=0l29zW4_W5E
Amazing images of the future (R&D of today) of touch-based computing! I
assume that is all working software and hardware they are demonstrating?
Something else for me to think about for PataPata (which means "touch,
touch" in Xhosa and related South Africa area languages, think "pat pat").

After Francois' video, I'm really seeing the power of a few minute video
to present enough of an idea to motivate you to download it and explore it
on your own. Of course, when I did work in robotics years ago, everyone
made videos -- but usually because something always went wrong when you
demonstrated it live. :-) Still, having seen something work, even briefly,
I think you can be more motivated to push through all the install and
configuration issues. Screenshots do a lot, but they can't convey a
certain level of interaction easily. So, another thing to consider for
video design is whether to do a walk through tutorial, or do one like the
link above on "Multi-Touch Interaction Research" which is just skipping
through short examples with a music soundtrack. Of course, doing at least
one of each might be ideal.

Hey, maybe if I could import your RUR-PLE components into PataPata
somehow, we could do one video about both? :-) Anyway, something to think
about down the road when/if I can start raiding other projects
(respectfully :-) for great code and ideas (PythonCard is on my list too. :-)

By the way, on microphones, having worked in a speech recognition group
long ago, quality microphones as well as proper microphone positioning do
make a huge difference, and I would suggest a wearable headset, such as
for example something by Andrea,
   http://www.andreaelectronics.com/Buy/headsets.htm
   http://www.andreaelectronics.com/Buy/ProductDesc/NC91.htm
for the best quality sound (almost any manufacturer's ~US$30 headset
microphone will probably be good enough though). In watching movies, it
seems people are much more forgiving of poor video quality then poor sound
quality, strangely enough. Perhaps humans are used to seeing images
obscured by things like leaves and tall grass or dust or haze, whereas
sounds are almost always crisp. For tips and tests on microphone
positioning, you can use one of the speech recognition packages. You might
find an old boxed package somewhere cheap you could use just for the
microphone positioning feedback, and they often come with good enough
microphones. But if you do it on your own, perhaps some of the speech
recognition advice might be useful? Which is to position the headset
microphone boom receiver part far enough away and a little to one side of
your mouth so that you capture the speech sound well enough without
getting too much general breathing and too many air puffs on various
specific words. So, if you are already using a headset microphone and you
are not happy with the sound quality, you could try just positioning what
you have differently too, and see how that works for you.

All the best.

--Paul Fernhout