[Edu-sig] PySqueak: pyGTK & Cairo & pygtkglext (OpenGL) next?

francois schnell francois.schnell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 16:28:11 CEST 2006

On 04/06/06, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

> Francois-
>
> Live CDs sound great for the field (we had the earlier discussion about it
> on edusig a month or two back, including a link to a Python software
> distribution on a GNU/Linux bootable CD),
>    http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonCd
> though for individuals, like you say, they have to be motivated to make
> and boot a CD, more so than a simple download onto their current system.

Oops I missed that, they should add an "edu section",  thanks I'll  try it .

I read a few of the Alan Kay posts in that thread just now, and I think he
> is right on people not wanting to spread technology developed after the
> 1960s (and objects are a 1970s thing. :-). He sounds frustrated about it,
> but then so am I. :-) The site that he linked to was down,

You're right the site isn't accessible for me neither. When I tried it a few
weeks ago it worked well.

I may have mentioned it here before, but one of my relatives who is a
> teacher had to sign a document saying she could be fired if they installed
> any software on her classroom computer.

 [...]

"FREEZE! THIS IS A SOFTWARE RAID"
> http://www.businessweek.com/1997/09/b351634.htm
> and:
> "Guitar maker plays a Linux tune"
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/11/27/021127hnerniball.html?s=IDGNS
> Can't find a school raid one off hand, but I know I have seen them before.

Yes we have the same threats in French education and posters from the BSA
everywhere in schools :
http://francois.schnell.free.fr/bazar/exigez-loriginal.JPG
http://swpat.ffii.org/gasnu/bsa/

Personally I hope they will even be more aggressive towards education,
thanks to them it really helps to spread Free Software much quicker ! I
heard Quebec ditched MS Office in secondary education  for Open Office
because of these threats. Other countries like Spain and Brazil are now
massively going for Linux in secondary education.

Me, I'm sacrificing some sleep and it will catch up with me. [I have a
> consulting project that might be coming up so I want to get as much done
> as possible before that distracts me, in hopes it might pick up speed on
> its own afterwards if it reaches a "critical mass" point.]

Still take care of  yourself !  undefined day you should ...  time.sleep
(7*60*60)

But nothing like an audience to get one motivated. I appreciate your
> interest, and hope at some point you might try the TK version in SVN --
> though I have not packaged it, so you'd need to check it out with SVN (or
> download each of about twenty files separately, ouch).
>    http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/patapata/trunk/PataPata/
> I could make a package if that makes it a lot easier though.

Don't worry about the package I've actually co the repository a day ago (on
my XP and Kubuntu box) and will check for updates often to have my current
juicy PataPata version :)

Here's the problem I have with the Tk version:

On Win XP :

- If I alt-right-click on a Morph and call the inspector it doesn't work (ie
I can see in the dos window that it called InspectMorph <Prototype xxxxx>
but the inspector doesn't focus on this Morph)
- If I manually search for a morph in the Inspector (where it says "morphs
<'type list'>") and if I try to change its color for example (lets say
'red') and click "accept" => the morph disappear from the world and the dos
window says : problem drawing morph <Prototype xxxx>

On Kubuntu Dapper Drake:

- the alt (left or right) click  doesn't work as expected : if I want to
drag a morph I'm always dragging the whole application window and I can't
drag an individual Moph anymore. If do an alt-right click I can't access the
menu to inspect the morph (I have a ~"resize" icon for the mouse cursor).
- I have the same bug than for XP if I want to change a value in the
inspector.

Maybe it is related to the bug you were talking about ? I can make a quick
screencast if it helps you to visualize the problem.

francois