[Edu-sig] Designing CS...

Kevin Driscoll driscollkevin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 01:45:38 CEST 2006

As my school is not large enough to support such a focused programming
curriculum and I want to appeal to many sides of computing / networked
culture, I just finished teaching a 10-12th grade elective with ESR's
"How to become a hacker" essay as a framework. (See:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html )

Build up a PC.  Install Ubuntu.  Write XHTML/CSS in a text editor.
Learn Python.

All the while blogging and talking about the social implications to
blogging, MySpace, closed-v-open source, open-v-free, etc.  ESR's 4th
assertion ("Learn English") was especially fertile ground in a class
with many non-native English speakers.  We asked why Python would have
English-sounding words as built-in functions.

Now I have a cohort of students with a semester of Python under their
belts and I'm starting to plan for next year.  The students that stick
with me will be ready for a more strict programming curriculum.
Though I'm wary of switching languages, your email is intriguing.
It's helpful to think of languages as tools - each with its own
strength and purpose.

Has anyone taught Ruby at the K12 level?  I love its object-oriented
nature and the whole workflow would be familiar to my young Python
programmers but I worry that jumping to another language is too soon.

Kevin