[Edu-sig] (Fwd) Re: Some thoughts on RurPle / TurTle

Daniel Ajoy da.ajoy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 05:15:04 CEST 2006

From:           	Daniel Ajoy <da.ajoy at gmail.com>
To:             	edu-sig-request at python.org
Subject:        	Re: [Edu-sig] Some thoughts on RurPle / TurTle
Date sent:      	Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:48:21 -0500

On 26 Jun 2006 at 12:00, edu-sig-request at python.org wrote:

> Also, because rur-ple basic instructions [move(), pick_beeper(),
> put_beeper(), turn_left(), turn_off()] are very limited, they are
> easier to learn and build from, I think, than the corresponding turtle
> graphics where one has to contend with arbitrary rotations and
> arbitrary step lengths right from the start...  This is, I believe,
> one advantage of having a "closed universe", at least at the
> beginning.   What I would like to do (eventually) is to add
> turtle-like features to rur-ple, with something like
> move() -->  move(length)
> turn_left() -->  turn(angle)
> and have an open canvas.  I think this would combine the best of both
> worlds.

Instead of yet another turtle graphics implementation I
wish it added features of PC-Robots:

http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hbecker/pcrob.html

PCRobots is a programming game written by P. D. Smith. It's sort
of a tank game, the tanks have to fight each other. But you can't
control your tank: It is controlled by a programm you have to write!
The best program wins.

PCRobots is very easy to handle: You can use most (DOS) compilers
to create your robots. Robots can build teams, different maps (with
obstacles) can be used, PCRobots has a graphical display and even
some sound.

You can download the game from here:

http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hbecker/prg/pcrob141.zip

and read some of the details in the manual:

PCROBOTS.DOC

a text file.

I did enjoy playing with it in 1998 when I taught a first year
programming course using PCRobots and Turbo C.

Daniel