[Edu-sig] News about turtle graphics

Brad Miller bmiller at luther.edu
Thu Jun 29 00:48:02 CEST 2006

Hi Gregor,

The more I play with the new xturtle the more I like it.  Thanks!  I've
been thinking about the following extension to TurtleScreenBase and I
wonder what you and others think of the idea.

I like the fact that the turtle starts out in a coordinate system with
0,0 in the middle of the window, and I like the fact that for beginning
students 1 unit == 1 pixel on the screen.  But, I think that after a
student has used the turtle to plot a sin or cos curve and learned
about scaling the values to make the plot visible in the window it
would be nice to place the turtle in a world coordinate system that
matched whatever application the student was working on.  For example
the gravitaion examples could be done in meters.  Let TurtleScreenBase
take care of the translation and scaling after for you.  The API could
be extended by a single call setWorldCoordinates(llx,lly,ulx,uly) that
specifies the world coordinates of the lower left corner of the screen
and the upper right.   (This is very similar to the ortho2 call in
openGL.  Note, if the student does not call setWorldCoordinates then
the turtle functions just as it does now.

I've already added this capability to the turtle.py that Vern wrote for
Python 2.5 and I don't think it would be too hard to add to
TurtleScreenBase.  What do you all think?  Would this be a useful
addition?  Gregor, is this something you already have on your todo
list?  Would you be interested?

Thanks,

Brad