[Edu-sig] PataPata 0.1.19 release & Stigmergy

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Jun 29 03:22:59 CEST 2006

kirby urner wrote:
> In other words:  as I learned long ago, the solo developer is quickly
> outclassed by what teamwork can do, when it comes to finalizing a
> commercial and/or educational product.  We've discussed this several
> times on this list, in connection with game development.

How often true...

change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

> But a lot of times, one just
> goes for green field development, per the recent Pata Pata example.

Well, it's somewhat green, but as mentioned before, I'm building on the
shoulders of giants. :-)

I've been pretty quiet on edusig as I've been hard at work. :-)

SourceForge is partially down right now so I can't make a proper release
(version 0.1.19) to SVN here:
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/patapata/trunk/releases/PataPata_v119.zip?view=log
You can download from that web page.

This version includes the current release of Gregor Lingl's xturtle
library, wrapped as a Morph. (I modified the library slightly to work with
Python 2.3).

To run the demo (after unzipping the file) use:
   python PataPata.py

It even has some PythonCard compatibility. It can read PythonCard resource
files and build GUIs for them -- if the widgets are from the limited set
it supports (Button, CheckBox, TextField, TextArea, Menus, and a few
others). You still have to link in the code by hand though. I converted
one example -- the "conversions" sample which converts temperatures,
currencies, and Morse code. I also converted the menu builder tool GUI but
it has no functionality yet. (Limited) PythonCard compatibility motivated
several major improvements in the system (including naming morphs and
supporting menus and a "visible" flag).

There is also one example using the approach Ian Bicking outlined
previously here of using metaclasses to read in prototypes defined using
"class". Also included is an example of how it works just using regular
python code to construct them, so one can compare the two. It still uses
the old approach for writing as I explore the new (for me) idea.

There is also a webcast Francois Schnell made of PataPata on ShowMeDo:
   http://showmedo.com/videos/video?name=patapata_tkinter1_fSchnell

So, see, some teamwork going on, though of an "artifact mediated" kind. I
think of that as a form of "Stigmergy".
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stigmergic
 From there: "Stigmergy is a method of communication in emergent systems
in which the individual parts of the system communicate with one another
by modifying their local environment."

--Paul Fernhout