[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 31, Issue 16

Toby Donaldson tjd at sfu.ca
Wed Mar 1 02:55:23 CET 2006

As I pointed out in my message, the reason we use turtle graphics is
to introduce the idea of functional decomposition and bottom-up
development. I have little interest in graphics, personally.

It worked very well for our students, and the fact that turtle
graphics is a toy is important: there's less anxiety playing with
toys. I see many, many students who have zero experience with
programming in high school, and exhibit more anxiety in the
first-programming course than in a math course (which at they least
have a decade of experience with, even if they dislike the topic).

Toby

--
Dr. Toby Donaldson
School of Computing Science