[Edu-sig] IDLE wish (was Edu-sig Digest, Vol 31, Issue 16)

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 23:13:49 CET 2006

On 3/8/06, John Zelle <john.zelle at wartburg.edu> wrote:
> I also like the simplicity of lightning, but it would need some enhancements
> before I could imagine using it in class. For example, it doesn't seem to
> auto-indent and requires typing the filename on a save. I'm sure it would not
> be hard to tidy up those things. I'd also like to handle multiple open files.

Indeed, I don't think it would be too hard to fix these.  I'll keep
them in mind for
the next time I look at the code.  However, one of my goals is to keep it as
simple as possible, mostly used as a quick testing or demo
environment; I like to use SPE for serious coding.

> I noticed on my system (Linux, Kubuntu 5.10), lightning plays well with my
> graphics.py library, but it seg faults if I try to use VPython. I don't think
> I would switch to an environment that doesn't play well with VPython, and I'm
> afraid that VPython is pretty closely tied to IDLE. Anybody know why packages
> like lightning and SPE (both wxPython) don't seem to work with VPython? Eric
> (QT-based) seems to work fine.

I tried to run a sample program from the VPython web page in the
"editor" window and it ran fine (under Windows XP); however, closing
the VPython window killed the whole app.  The same sample program
seemed to hang the embedded Shell...  I agree that this would be a
major show-stopper for using it in a classroom with VPython :-(

André