[Edu-sig] Getting ready for class...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 23:08:00 CET 2006

> >>> emptylist.append('more canned foods')

[ Long digression about lists, then dove into dictionaries, as "data
structures" (and note dict.items() returns our 3rd:  the tuple). ]

A girl student came in at the start of class to announce tomorrow as
the last day to contribute cans in a food drive to help hungry people
through something called Second Wind. She spoke pretty loudly, but
kids were still getting settled, so I said I'd work it into my lesson.
 So my content included this sidebar commercials for Oregon Food Bank
(a former employer) and the like, plus some comment on how we still
have hunger even in Oregon.

I also shared the saga of my cell phone (Verizon) and how the whole of
Oregon State is apparently suffering the effects of some giant
technical glitch (hey, I'm just passing on the lore I'm getting when I
call customer service (all the switches have been "not processing
changes" since like 11 AM yesterday)).