[Edu-sig] Properties use case

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Mar 16 19:06:02 CET 2006

Arthur wrote:

> I actually think your way is best to achieve ultimate transparency for
> pedagogical purposes, even at the sacrifice of performance.  I am more
> and more thinking that a good deal of Numeric is overkill for my
> purposes as well - sacrificing transparency for what is probably not
> tremendous performance benefits when I am dealing only in 2x2, 3x3 and
> 4x4 arrays.  Since Numeric is designed as a general use library, it
> needs to spend some time determining what it is looking at when, for
> example, doing linear algebra - what shape are the arrays it is
> looking at, what type, etc.  In the controlled environment that I am
> working in in PyGeo I know what I am sending along, so I think I can
> gain some of the time back that I would be loosing in going from C to
> Python simply because I can design things in a way where little is
> general, everything is specific - we know what we are getting because
> we are sending it.  Have been experimenting with all this, as it happens.
>
> Art

Just thought I'd throw out the tool I am using for my "experiments".

Python Performance Validator - an (expensive) commercial product to be
found at

http://www.softwareverify.com/

Working with a free fully functional 30 day trial version, seeing what I
can learn about my code with it before it expires, and then will
probably be left to other tools, as I can't justify its cost for my
purposes.

But at least I can give them a plug.

I have found profiling, formal debugging, etc. somewhat complicated by
the fact that I am working with a graphical and dynamic application.
Not that that's so unusual a situation to face, but some of the issues
that arise seem to me to come under the category of Profiling 103, and I
never got through 101.

This tool has helped me get my bearings.

Art

What it solves for me is the problem of separating performance issues,
e.g. start-u