[Edu-sig] Learning Python via a browser: looking for a name

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon May 1 18:33:46 CEST 2006

On 5/1/06, Michael Tobis <mtobis at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am imagining, ultimately, a very ambitious project relying on
> network effects in the social sense. In connecting to the internet in
> that context I still think the architecture must be that the student's
> machine is an HTTP client, because anything else would raise a lot of
> complexity.

Starting to sound a lot like Croquet, which is peer to peer.  Dunno
based on what protocol.

I'm thinking maybe two generic categories of product, that needn't be confused:

(1) A simpler interactive "in a browser" tutorial, that adds Python
shell and interactive graphics to Mozilla or whatever.  Like what Mr.
Roberge is doing and related to early doctest experiments.

(2) The more complex interactive "shared world" space, also with
Python bindings, but with a back end that's more like a full-featured
gaming engine with perhaps a custom non-browser client.  More like the
PySqueak vision.