[Edu-sig] Learning Python via a browser: looking for a name

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Tue May 2 01:24:30 CEST 2006

On 5/1/06, Dethe Elza <delza at livingcode.org> wrote:
> On 5/1/06, Andre Roberge <andre.roberge at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > re: (Py)Squeak
> > >
> > > I prefer Pipsqueak as a name %-)
> >
> > :-D
> >
> > That is to say ... as long you're not suggested this as a name for my
> > app!  (After all, my original rather long post included one and only
> > one question: what should I name my app ;-)
>
> Which is funny, because I *had* forgotten the origin of the thread
> (and reading it in gmail it's easy to lose track--I don't see the
> thread title when I'm reading/replying).
>
> But no, I would call your app "All your web are belong to Python" or
> AYWABTP. It really flows off the tongue.

Gotta love TLA [1] and EFLA [2] and their cousins.

> Or maybe "Python in a Box."

Cute... but I'm looking for something that could be use as a module name.

> Or "A Taste of Python" (tastes like chicken)
>
> Something about spiders (the web) and snakes. Hmm., getting creepy.
> Which has "py" in it: "Cree.py"

Weirdly interesting.  JaSON -like    (Apologies to people that have
never heard of Friday the 13th movies ... I've never seen them, but I
can make this reference, which shows how pervasive popular culture is
here...)

> "Python Webs"
>
> Or, if you want to go with Monty Python, "Crunchy Frog" for no reason
> except it's a skit I can remember which I don't think has been used
> for a python package yet.

Hmmm since French is my mother tongue, I don`t know what to make of
the Crunchy Frog suggestion ;-)

Perhaps Guido, our Brother Dedicated to Foster Laughter through his
inspirational use of Monty Python references, is still hanging around
and will come up with a suggestion of his own.  After all, I'd like to
use his official tutorial as a sample application of this approach.

I realise this is starting to stray quite a bit: I apologize to this
hijacking of a list discussing educational application of python for
the purpose of coming up with a name for my app.
Follow-up privately by email are welcome.

> --Dethe

André

[1] Three Letter Acronyms
[2] Even Four Letter Acronyms