[Edu-sig] Pythonic Mathematics (session 3)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun May 7 17:06:40 CEST 2006

> > CLASS:  Saturday Academy: Pythonic Mathematics
> > LOCATION:  Portland State University, Neuberger Hall
> > TIME:  10 AM - 12:30 PM
> >

> I chose a different forum for the next session:
> http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=1377897
>
> I'm working to interest community college teachers in the Gnu Math approach.
>
> Kirby

I followed up with an erratum.  I actually got it right in the
presentation itself:  called it Euclid's Algorithm, not Euler's (in
the writing, I was thinking ahead to Euler's Theorem, which colored my
lead-up; call it foreshadowing).

What I don't give myself credit for in the above-cited write-up, is my
excellent representation of Ada's role in things, as a bright,
gorgeous, dare I say fetching socialite, daughter of a great poet, yet
able to speculate accurately as to what "programming" might look like.
 Enter Bernoulli numbers.  Babbage, on the other hand, was not nearly
so effective in promoting his machine to VCs.  He needed her as a fan,
and perhaps got more than he bargained for.

Anyway, I do enjoy math-through-storytelling.  I'm not such a master
as QuickSilver's author, but I still manage to write a good script.

OK, enough with the self promotion already.

Kirby