[Edu-sig] More on Panda3D

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon May 8 21:28:28 CEST 2006

On 5/8/06, Tom Hoffman <tom.hoffman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Kirby,
>
> Have you also looked at Soya?  I don't think it has come up in this
> conversation.
>
> http://home.gna.org/oomadness/en/soya/index.html

I believe this came up on the LKL tape (Quicktime streaming) but not
here, you're right.  I'll bone up on Soya too.

> It seems to cover similar territory to Panda3D, but it is more of a
> grassroots community creation.  I haven't gotten into either far
> enough to really say which one is better, although Soya's definitely
> the tougher install.
>
> --Tom

I'm not biased against company or university branding on open source
products per se i.e. the Ximian, Disney and/or Carnegie Mellon logos
aren't troublesome in and of themselves.

But like any investor, I like to get a sense of the health of the
developer community, whatever the superficials.  It being open source
is a positive sign but is not in and of itself enough to reassure.
Frequent improvements happening is more what we look for.

So far, nothing bothers me about Panda.  But now I've got high hopes
for Soya too, so thanks for the pointer.