[Edu-sig] Errors in Wikipedia entry for IronPython?

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Tue May 9 23:50:30 CEST 2006

> Wondering why you won't touch IronPython? It looks like it has the
> potential to span what currently takes C/C++ plus SWIG plus Python, but
> puts it into one framework, and may run more quickly than the other. It
> also runs under Mono on many OSes and .NET on Windows. Is it because it
> has touched the hands of Microsoft? It is "open source" (in as far as
> the shared source license looks open), and Microsoft has (so far) been
> very faithful to replicating CPython's behavior. If it had generic
> cross-platform graphics, or were embedded in a browser, then it sounds
> like it might be just the right Python for doing many educational
> projects mentioned on this list in the last few weeks.

CPython does what I need.  Mono/dotNet is the answer to problems I
don't have. My main platform is OS X, and PyObjC bridges quite nicely
between Cocoa and CPython. It's not just the "hand of Microsoft,"
though I admit I don't particularly like doing business with
unrepentant convicted monopolists, but I don't have much use for
Jython most of the time either.  When I have to use Java for
something, Jython is the ticket, but that happens less and less these
days.  Using a huge VM designed for statically compiled languages to
run dynamic languages on is a neat trick, it's cool that it can be
done, but it's not something I actually see much point in using over
CPython's own VM.

I'm not trying to start a religious war or make (much) of a statement
here, just saying it's not for me.

--Dethe