[Edu-sig] PySqueak: Which 3D package should I use?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat May 13 21:54:26 CEST 2006

> So many difficult decisions; maybe I will just go back to expanding the 2D
> proof of concepts for a while... :-)
>
> --Paul Fernhout

If just trying to do some quick and dirty proof of concept work, I'd
go with VPython.  The API is simple.  No textures, not really OpenGL,
but hey, that could come later.

On the OpenGL front, I'm finding Panda3D very promising, works on
Edubuntu, Windows, haven't tried it on Mac (I don't think it works
there yet).  I haven't looked into Soyo in any detail yet.  If you do,
please report back on your experience.

I think writing directly to OpenGL through PyOpenGL will be too much
work for rapid prototyping, though I may underestimate your
productivity and skills.