[Edu-sig] Just ran into Kevin Altis...

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sun May 14 15:45:01 CEST 2006

Kirby-

Thanks for the (indirect) reminder about this. Portland does sound like a
happening place. :-)
   http://www.unconventionalideas.com/walkability.html
   http://www.unconventionalideas.com/eastbank.html

To run the version in Debian to see what PythonCard-ers have been up to
recently, I just now had to upgrade from wx 2.4 to wx 2.6 and that also
fixed my flicker problem. :-) So, proof of concept fourteen, with text
morphs and no flicker under wx GTK 2.6:
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/patapata/PataPata/proof_of_concept_014.py?view=log

Anyway, I am confronted with a series of choice points and paths as I look
at how to build a Self-like inspector (which needs GUI widgets including a
text editor):
* 3D right now?
* How to put up interactive widgets (custom vs. wx, tk, pyGame, GLUT, other)?
* Whether to keep the programming widgets in the same world window as the
application or have them in another window (and/or world) or even another
VM interacting over the network?
Likely there is some deeply Pythonic (glue-ish and platform agnostic) way
to approach these decisions I don't see yet.

Still, I feel confronted by the biggest fork in the road -- focusign on
the Squeak/Self notion of a consistent world of objects to present to
novices and experts alike manipulated in a consistent way (if you drink
the Koolaid :-), and an eclectic, throw whatever the paradigm and tool of
the moment is at them that gets a specific task done approach (requiring a
lot of glue sniffing :-). [***] A fundamental divide, and discussed here
before. Clearly, I think the Pythonic approach is more in the latter glue
oriented way. But, that perhaps requires certain assumptions about the
order things are learned in or presented in, to manage complexity and
information overload.

Anyway, lots of decisions... So, a good time to revisit how other projects
like PythonCard are doing things. If I could wrap a wxWidget in a Morph, I
might get a lot of mileage out of that, and PythonCard undoubtedly has an
approach to dragging widgets that might be useful (let alone if much of
PythonCard could be adapted in a prototype way, since PythonCard is
prototypish anyway, even if I initially used just, say, their menu
editor). I mentioned long ago the notion of PySqueak and PythonCard
perhaps merging somehow; perhaps time to look more deeply at the paradigms
behind various approaches and their potential initial compatability.
Anyway, still mainly just exploring possiblities at this point.

--Paul Fernhout
*** Sadly, glue sniffing is a serious problem among school kids
apparently, see for example the 20% statistic here:
   http://emeritus.blogspot.com/2006/04/inhalant-abuse.html
Maybe exciting Python-based constructivist virtual worlds (and a better
real world emerging out of them?) might help a bit with it.