[Edu-sig] list newbie

Sun May 28 20:07:38 CEST 2006

Kris Olson wrote:
> I am new to teaching Python but have enjoyed the reaction of my students to
> Python.  I have been using the interactive mode to demonstrate.... it is hard for
 > them to see when I get down to the bottom of the page.
 > Is there a way to clear the screen or open a new interactive screen?

Here's a trick I use for myself when the shell screen gets too full:

1) Make sure another window is open (do File / New Window if needed).
2) Close the shell screen.
3) On (one of) the open window(s) do Windows / Python Shell.

You now have a nice clean window.

I agree it would be nice to be able to prune the shell window
contents.  Especially if you have output some long text w/o
returns in it, scrolling can get painfully slow as the output
accumulates.

-- Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org