[Edu-sig] The fate of vpython

Arthur Siegel ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Oct 10 01:56:03 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 18:41 -0500, John Zelle wrote:

> Just curious, is PyOpenGL easy to install for both Mac and Windows? I know
> it's dead simple on most Linux distributions. I think it's pretty easy for
> Windows, but have no experience at all on the Mac.

Assuming that PyOpenGL *is* easy to install, we come back to the same
question - an OpenGL windowing context, be it pygame, be it wxWindows,
be it togl, be it gtkgl, be it whatever one does on Mac.  PyOpenGL
provides the functionality, given a windowing context, not the windowing
context.

And since much of the cross-platform complexity of vpython is on the
windowing context issue, I see that solving that issue for vpython is a
more direct approach to solving the problem. But again, to me vpython
begins to lose its charm if we have to assume wxPython installed, or
pygame installed, or Panda3d installed.

Togl across platforms???