[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

Radenski, Atanas radenski at chapman.edu
Tue Sep 5 18:50:47 CEST 2006

Me too :-) I would like to see both input and raw_input preserved.
Replacing these with more complicated (from pedagogical perspective)
methods would probably give an additional reason for educators to look
at alternative languages, such as Ruby.

There were questions in this list of the appropriateness of the names of
the two functions. To me, the names of input and raw_input seem just
fine. One can tell students that the input function is more general and
interprets the input character sequence as a Python expression, finally
delivering its value. In contrast, raw_input is simpler and interprets
nothing - simply delivers the input string as a character string. It is
logical.

Just my ten cents.

Atanas

Atanas Radenski
mailto:radenski at chapman.edu      http://www.chapman.edu/~radenski/

There are wavelengths that people cannot see, there are sounds that
people cannot hear, and may be computers have thought that people cannot
think -- Richard Hamming