[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

Radenski, Atanas radenski at chapman.edu
Thu Sep 7 01:34:03 CEST 2006

On
> Behalf Of Michael
> Subject: Re: [Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000
>
> I've been watching this discussion and wondering - how much of the
> problems
> people complain about would go away if here was a "teaching"
distribution
> of
> python. That is one that did the equivalent of
>
> from teaching import *

Nowadays, college students want to do "real programming". You call a
language 'teaching' - you loose. I actually have to work hard to
convince my students that Python is not just a teaching language, but a
language for real work. I show them various rankings based on use,
salaries, jobs, etc.

A great thing about Python is that it is popular in commercial projects
and at the same time, you can teach beginners with it. IMHO, this is one
of the most distinguishing features of Python in comparison to other
languages

> from teaching import *

This will immediately create two difficulties.
1. You implicitly declare to your students you are not dealing with
"real programming".
2. You most likely have to tell your entry-level students that you
cannot explain what the above thing means, but you will tell them later.
People switch form Java to Python to *avoid* this kind of situations.

> Michael

Atanas