[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 03:25:56 CEST 2006

On 9/9/06, Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.net> wrote:

>  >import math
>  >math.cos( 90 * math.degrees)
>
> It doesn't belong to you, it doesn't belong to Fuller, it ain't "gnu
> math" because there ain't no such thing. Except to you and six guys in
> some Mecca called Portland.

Did you understand the discussion?  I shouldn't presume.

I was explaining how I don't like "scripting" as a first exposure to
programming.

I like "stars in the sky" where you build up a namespace of stuff
depending on other stuff.

Or just use a ready-made, like math or string.

So on the first day, we import a namespace and use it.  Maybe like this:

>>> import myhousehold
>>> myDog = Dog("Sarah Angel")

>>> import animalcontrol
>>> animalcontrol.register(myDog)
OK, done

Better?  I used my own dog instead of cosine, and now it's OK?

I don't understand this "doesn't belong" thing.

I have access to the metaphysical heritage of all humanity.  I think
the trig people *wanted* our Mecca to have a bright future (OK, so
they didn't know about Portland -- but I don't see the copy protection
or EULA I'm supposed to sign or kowtow to before I deploy it as a part
of my infrastructure).

> You choose to remain at the margins, and martyred as being at being
> marginalized. It's a game that ain't so funny any more.

What marginalized.  I feel we're slaughtering the competition, but
they're mostly too big and lumbering to notice.  But some see what
we're up to, and even enjoy the experience of finding out they're
dinos in our eyes (how cute!).

> You are in the process helping marginalize some very sound ideas - not
> just of your own, that is your business and your psyche - but of others.

Oh, like I'm not entitled to use cosine all of a sudden?  Where do you
get off bossing me like that?  Remind me to use as much trig as I
want, any time I want, especially when you're watching.

Because yes, doing convergent sequences is Big Time in my curriculum.
What do we converge to?  Values of sine and cosine.  Do we credit
Euler?  You betcha.  Synergetics is all about Euler and Gibbs, Euler
and Gibbs.  Some people cup their ears, because they *can't stand* to
see genius credit genius, instead of themselves (don't worry, I'm
nowhere in Published Synergetics, know to look to my betters (not you
though)).

> This is an announcement.
>
>  >import math
>  >math.cos( 90 * math.degrees)
>
> has less than nothing to do with Kirby Urner.  He couldn't make it
> happen if his life depended upon it.
>
> Art

Duh?

Nothing to do with Arthur Siegel either, whoever that is.