[Edu-sig] simple guessing games

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Sep 11 15:38:12 CEST 2006

Arthur wrote:

> FWIW, I also happen to think that the passion around the @decorator
> debate centered around this issue - many people feeling that the
> facility had the potential of redirecting Python inward.  I still
> cringe a bit when contemplating lots of @'s in the standard library of
> Python3000.
>
> And FWIW, it seems that it seeems to me that sys.stdin.readline() is
> more public facing than is raw_input(), and I think my gut preference
> for it is on that basis.
>
> All said at the risk of having my own private conversation.

Interested in finishing my thought, and having to leave for a client and
unable to wait to see if there is any general interest in its thread
before I do so - its only empty bandwidth after all --

A petition I *did* sign was the one imploring Guido to reconsider his
choice of syntax for decorators.  I signed it in opposition and dissent
to its contents (good that the petition provided for that).  So that I
was supporting Guido's choice of syntax, and asking him to stick to his
guns - thinking that "@" isolated decorators appropriately  as something
other than Python business-as-usual.